Today I was asked “how do you improve your French?” and it wasn’t until then that I realized I was waiting for someone to ask me that question.
To give you some context, for professional reasons I had to obtain my A2 certificate in French in less than 6 months. I’d never studied this language before!
So I had to figure out how to make progress in such a short time.
For a long time I was thinking about the tips that helped me to improve, some of them I heard from teachers and others I deduced by myself.
Here are some tips that I can give you and that helped me.
- Lisen to it as much as possible: your brain must get used to think in that language and your ear to hear it.
- You must repeat it! Repeat phrases or word with the correct pronunciation an intonation. You can imitate your favorite artist.
- From the first moment you start learning the language you must speak it. At this moment you must be like a child who is not afraid to make mistakes.
- Be constant. Dedicate time every day, even if it’s only 15 minutes reading a book or watching a movie. Whatever you want, but dedicate time to it.
- Be patient and motivated. A language isn’t something that you learn overnight and once you start learning it, you’ll never stop studying it because you can forget it.
Note: I recommended that the songs, books or movies that you’re going to choose be for children because they are easier to understand.
Finally, I want to mention that motivation is the most important of the rules. I can give you all this tips but if you aren’t interested, you won’t advance.